Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

Foxy Shazam - Foxy Shazam (Sire)

Foxy Shazam's self titled major debut release is an album of action packed, fast flying, piano driven rock anthems. From the opening track, "Bombs Away," to the beautiful ballad "Evil Thoughts" which concludes the album, it's a refreshing well put together group of songs from beginning to end. The single "Oh, Lord" and it's "keep on, keeping on," lyric at the end of each chorus, sums up the triumphant, down on your luck, theme that stays constant throughout the record. On "Wanna be angel" lead vocalist "Eric Nally," belts "And all you hipsters say I'm gay, well I'm not gay AT ALL," keeps the content of the lyrics current while the music is more of a 70's piano-rock throwback, but in a good, good way. Such "borrowed" musical stylings are few and far between when done by other acts. Foxy Shazam is not stealing from from that glorious decade of the 1970's, but I believe they are taking its influence to a new level.

There's really nothing negative I can say about this band, so I won't. I have yet to catch them live, but I hear their live show is in fact, a "show," which makes me more anxious to see them. The only thing I would advise today's listener is, to give Foxy a few spins before you dismiss it, because sometimes, great things take time to understand and I do believe this album is one of them.

The Score: 8.5 out 10 Bells!
The Math: Rocky Horror Meat Loaf - vampires + basketball = Foxy Shazam

No comments:

Post a Comment