Search This Blog

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Memory Tapes - Seek Magic (101 Distribution)


When I first stumbled upon “Memory Tapes,” something struck a chord in my brain, especially when I saw the name “Dayve Hawk.” I was reading reading about a “Yeasayer” remix in none other than SPIN magazine. After some fast internet research, it appeared that the ex-Hail Social front man (and one of my local Philly favorites) has had some success with “Memory Tapes,” after disbanding the latter. Apparently, while guys like me were enjoying the last of the “Hail Social” records, Hawk was beat mining in the laboratory; making remixes of indie rock’s finest under the surnames “Weird Tapes,” and “Memory Cassette.”

“Memory Tapes,” is his combined effort, and it looks like he is doing well. Checking in on his myspace page the past few months, I see he has been all over the world, from SXSW to various stops throughout Europe, pretty impressive for a guy whom I hear does not really enjoy touring in the least bit. With help from the underground epic dance smash, “Bicycle, ”the second track from “Seek Magic,” Hawk takes you where Hail Social left off. It’s harmonized, droning, yet, desperate vocals radiate over melodic synths, percussive beats, and guitar one liners.

This 8 song album takes you to a crowded dance-floor, perhaps somewhere in France, trying to remember who put what in your drink, and not giving a fuck until the next day when you wake up. The guitar hooks are straight off of a New Order/Cure vinyl platter, but I am sucker for them, so I will continue to eat, thank you very much.

If you were looking for more indie-pop structured songwriting with a hint of synthpop/dancerock like his last works, “Seek Magic,” may not be for you. “Bicycle,” is the strongest and most well rounded song on the album, which focuses on layered melodies, and lots of them, and of course huge house beats and great breakdowns. The vocals are still there from before, but it’s more about tripping out in outer space, than that song you can sing a long too on a late night bike ride through the hipster alleys of Fishtown, U.S.A.

I must admit, “Seek Magic,” is growing on me, and this guy always seems to impress me in one way or another.

The Score:  6 out of 10 ringing bells
The Math:  a darker Hail Social + dance beats – less structured songwriting = “Seek Magic”

No comments:

Post a Comment