Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Drums - The Drums (downtown records)


I must admit, at the first and second listen from a friend's referral, I could not get into this record. Most likely this was due to the overall repetitiveness of the album, but I promised myself to give it another chance. In today's day and age where music is pretty much "free," by most people, the fact that someone actually gives an album 3 chances is asking a lot, but I try my best to give at least 3 listens, because in my day, if you spent $18 on a CD you were going to listen to it for months and get you moneys worth, even if it sucked.

Well, this definitely does not suck. The Drums album dug its way in my brain by the third listen. The standout track that got my attention was the beautiful, "Down by the Water," and its sing a long chorus, and 50's style chord progression. This band excels in writing simple single note guitar lines, and catchy choruses with some occasional synth parts thrown over fast drum patterns.

Other keys tracks are, "I need fun in my life" which I can imagine fitting perfectly in a John Hughes teen movie, "We Tried," and "Forever and Ever Amen," which is the most "cure-esque" on the record, with its traveling guitar melodies and catchy chorus about "running till the end of time."

The Score: 7.3
The Math: early New Order x early Cure = The Drums

No comments:

Post a Comment